Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Closing thoughts on New York: 

Yes, I realize I still have two more weeks here, but the fact is, I am kind of done with this city. I think a lot of people look at New York with dreamy eyes, rosy with ambition and life changing hopes, but to me at least, New York hasn't been any of those things. Don't get me wrong now, I looked at this city once the same way. "To spend a summer in New York..." that's about as far as it got. A lot of people feel like this is the place that will make their lives better, that will change them, all their dreams will come true. That's just not the case. 
I have enjoyed my time here, but I don't think it has changed me as a person. It is convenient to have everything basically within walking distance of you. The trains run regularly, shopping galore, i've gotten used to all the walking (well, my feet have I should say), but it almost reminds me of the feelings I had my first visit back home after going away to school in Cincinnati four years ago. I didn't realize how much I missed the country. Space. Grass. Dark. Quiet. That's how I grew up, its what I've come to love. Only, being here in the city, a constant asphalt jungle packed with darting obstacles occupied with mobile phones or kids running every which way, it really starts to wear on you. I'm tired of being crammed into subway cars every morning rush hour and having to wait in line just to walk up the stairs. I'm tired of living in my tiny 12' x 12' room (though I am so grateful to have found the space). I just want to spread out and be surrounded by crickets and stars, summer bugs and my wonderful "woods", away from this constant stress and chaos. 
I didn't acquire the "New York state of mind" while I was here. Though New York tried, with its best efforts, in the end I'm still just the Midwestern girl that saves wounded birds from the street and questions why people here own bathing suits if they cannot swim... You can't take the country out of the girl I suppose. I'm saying country loosely, I never considered myself a country girl until coming here. I guess more accurately, everyone here considers me a country girl lol. But all in all, it has been a good experience. A good three months spent exploring and making new friends. Is this the place for me? probably not, but I am proud to at least a little bit call myself a New Yorker now :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment