Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nelson - Picton Adventure Day 3

Sunday! Even though our journey was coming to an end, we still managed to have an exciting day. After an absolutely wonderful morning with friends, we stopped at subway for lunch and check in to the ferry for our ride through the Sounds and back home to Wellington. It was sunny and a beautiful day, though we worried about the wind + boat combo in the open water. It was a three hour ferry ride, and we spent the majority of the time outside either on the top deck or close to the middle of the boat where the rocking was not so bad. The Cook Straight is one of the most dangerous stretches of water to cross, and even on a seemingly calm day, the boat was rocking like crazy and sea water was splashing all over us once we got out in between the two islands. It was only that middle hour and a half or so of time that was bad, the rest was pretty enjoyable and we spent some time in the greenhouse-like cafe once we got closer to Wellington bay.

Here is the path we took by map:











Kelly was doing the gangnam style dance to cheer up all the seasick people next to us. I feel a bit bad taking a photo of them all, so many kids were getting sick. That's the south end of the North Island in the background!




Chilling inside again for snack time


Animal Mechanicals was on the tv! love that show. 

Once we got back into Wellington, Kelly's dad picked us up and dropped me by Cuba street so I could pick up some dinner. I had mentioned to Kelly my great longing for a buritto and she told me that they have Kabobs here, the closest that i'll find. Its kind of like a buritto but without rice... 



Good, but not as filling as I'd hoped. Sigh... There's a Chipotle at the Washington Airport... Totally stopping there when I get back into the states.. 


As for this week, I have just a short two days at work then off to the South Island again for my grand adventure! Its the labor day holiday weekend here, so everyone is planning a nice vacation with the extra time off. I'm excited to visit some of the more remote areas of the country and should have plenty of stories for my next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment